Photo Gallery 1 Images
A death investigation is underway in Lawrence County after the body of a missing man was found near a high school.
23-year-old Caleb Farrer was last seen in February. His family reported him missing in March. Tuesday, a group of teens discovered Farrer's body in a wooded area off an access road near East Lawrence High School.
The Lawrence County Sheriff told WAAY 31 they're investigating how Farrer died and how he got to that wooded area. Farrer's family is hoping anyone with information will come forward and bring them some form of peace.
"We knew something was wrong," said Tabatha Carlile, Caleb's stepmother. "We knew."
Carlile said as the days turned into weeks without a phone call from Caleb, the family knew something wasn't right. Their worst fears were confirmed Wednesday, when officials identified Caleb Farrer as the man found off an access road in a wooded area behind East Lawrence High School's baseball fields.
"We just didn't expect this, but I guess nobody does," said Carlile.
The family believes someone put his body in that wooded area, and they just want answers.
"There is no way he ended up there by himself," Carlile said as she wiped tears from her eyes. "We just want to know what happened. His dad needs to know. His aunt needs to know. We need to know."
On Thursday, the Lawrence County Coroner said Farrer's body did not have any signs of trauma, and they believe he was in the wooded area for over a month.
The Lawrence County Sheriff said they are not ruling anything out; including the possibility that someone put Farrer's body in the wooded area. Carlile is asking anyone with information to please come forward with answers.
"Imagine if that was someone in your family and you didn't know, because that's what we're going through right now," said Carlile.
The Lawrence County Coroner said it could take months to get other forensics back from Farrer's body; including toxicology reports, because the state forensics Lab is backlogged.
Farrer's family has set up a donation site to help pay for his funeral expenses.
- Lawrence County family seeks answers in missing son's death
- Family of murdered man still seeking answers
- Colbert County family seeks answers in Bainbridge Loop murder
- Family seeking answers 14 years after woman's murder
- Lawrence County sheriff seeks man in robbery of his employer
- Lawrence County sheriff seeks inmate who escaped work release
- Lawrence County Sheriff’s Office seeks ‘dangerous’ escaped inmate
- Shooting reported in Lawrence County
- Lawrence County elects new sheriff
- Update: Missing Senior Alert cancelled for Lawrence County woman