Lawrence County Sheriff Gene Mitchell confirmed Lawrence County Deputy Blake Burns turned himself into the sheriff's office Wednesday after a warrant was issued for his arrest.
He is charged with domestic violence-3rd degree/Harassment which is a misdemeanor.
According to court documents, the victim filed a warrant with the circuit clerk's office claiming Burns hit her with his fist in the stomach and abdomen in June of 2017. Mitchell said Burns was taken to the Franklin County Jail for safety reasons and was released on a $1,000 bond on Thursday.
Mitchell said Burns was placed on paid administrative leave pending court action.
This is the second Lawrence County employee charged with domestic violence this year. Former Chief of Staff Tim McWhorter was charged with domestic violence-harassment in Decatur in February. He is no longer with the department.
- Lawrence County deputy arrested on domestic violence charge
- Madison County reserve deputy arrested on domestic violence charge
- Domestic-violence allegations against suspended Lawrence County Sheriff's captain
- Man arrested for Domestic Violence
- Domestic violence in Alabama
- Florence man charged with domestic violence, kidnapping
- Lawrence County Deputies capture escaped inmate
- Alabama sheriff's deputy shot during domestic violence call
- Lawrence County sheriff arrests 2 on drug trafficking, pot charges
- Huntsville police: Man stabbed, then charged with domestic violence