A Lauderdale County man will avoid jail time after pleading guilty to smuggling pills in a Bible while serving as a corrections officer at the Lauderdale County Detention Center.
The district attorney's office says Kenneth Lawson agreed to a plea deal allows him to serve a split sentence which will allow him to serve only 60 months of probation despite being sentenced to 32 months in prison. As a result of the plea deal all the other charges against him were dropped.
Lawson smuggled the pills in July 2016 after only working as a corrections officer for three months.
- Lauderdale County corrections officer gets probation for smuggling pills in Bible
- Former Lauderdale County corrections deputy indicted
- Lauderdale County Homicide Investigation
- Lauderdale County Sheriff's Office investigating shooting
- Former corrections officer arrested in Marshall County
- Storm damage in Lauderdale County
- Officers to patrol Florence-Lauderdale Public Library
- Marshall County hires 5 correctional offices, more needed
- Four Marshall County jailers charged with smuggling contraband