2:47 p.m. UPDATE: Brian Reed has surrendered peacefully.
Multiple law enforcement agencies are responding to a standoff in Lauderdale County.
Lauderdale County Sheriff Rick Singleton says shortly before 9 a.m. Thursday his office attempted to serve court-ordered eviction papers to Brian Reed, 35, off Highway 43 on County Road 8 in Greenhill.
He said his office has been dealing with Reed about financial issues with his property for several months. Officials know Reed is armed, and might be heavily armed, because of past dealings with him.
Reed has not made threats to law enforcement today, but has in the past, Singleton said.
The sheriff’s office has called in the Florence Police Department’s Special Operations Unit/ SWAT negotiators.
Unit commander Craig Blasingame said Reed is refusing to come out. He said Reed is incoherent and they believe he is in a drug-induced psychosis.
Deputies and family members have tried talking to Reed through a window of the home.
Singleton said the goal is to get Reed out safely.
- Lauderdale County standoff suspect surrenders peacefully
- Lauderdale County Homicide Investigation
- Lauderdale County murder suspects released on bond
- An 8-hour standoff ended with 6 Philadelphia officers shot. An attorney told the suspect to surrender
- Storm damage in Lauderdale County
- Lauderdale County inmate found dead
- Murder suspect released in Lauderdale County on a $50,000 bond
- Weather damage clean up in Lauderdale County
- Lauderdale County Sheriff's Office investigating shooting
- Lauderdale County woman fights off alleged groper