A man is facing an arson charge for an explosion that happened late Monday night at a Decatur hotel.
William Charles Davis, 39, of Falkville, is facing a charge of third-degree arson after a butane canister exploded in his room at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel on 6th Avenue NE.
Davis was tampering with the canister when it exploded, severely damaging his room, according to Decatur police. They said they believed drug use may have been the reason Davis had the canister.
The explosion happened on the second floor of the hotel, forcing a short evacuation for hotel guests and staff.
Davis was taken to UAB Hospital in Birmingham to be treated for burns. Once he's released, police said he would be arrested.
- UPDATE: Man facing arson charge for Decatur hotel explosion
- Decatur woman facing forgery charges
- Fort Payne man charged with arson
- UPDATE: Man killed in Decatur wreck identified
- UPDATE: Man hospitalized in Decatur shooting
- Decatur man charged with causing 10-vehicle wreck
- Man charged with selling marijuana in Decatur
- Decatur man charged with convenience store robbery
- Decatur man charged with trafficking cocaine
- Decatur man charged with child abuse