WAAY 31 did some digging to find out when the last time a Huntsville Officer was charged with Murder.
According to Tim Gann with the Madison County District Attorney's Office, a police officer killed his girlfriend in 1995.
The officer's name was Scott Sanders, and according to court documents he stabbed his girlfriend while off duty.
Gann also believes no officer has been charged with murder while in the line of duty.
According to authorities, Sanders took a plea deal, and pleaded guilty to Manslaughter.
Sanders was sentenced to 20 years in prison. The court also ordered him to pay the victim's family $2,035.
Gann also told us, he believes Sanders has since been released on parole.
- The last time a HPD Officer sentenced for killing someone was in 1995
- Man killed by HPD Officer's bullet
- HPD officer charged with DUI
- HPD officer involved in wreck
- HPD Officers cleared by board in May
- DUI charges against HPD officer dropped
- HPD Officer charged with murder still considered an officer
- HPD: driver flees after crashing into home
- Report: HPD officer arrested for DUI vomited after wreck, had liquor in car
- HPD officer who died after wreck had another one less than an hour before