A large tree blocking both lanes on Bankhead Road caused an accident early Monday morning.
Sometime after 1 a.m., the tree fell across the roadway. A driver heading up Monte Sano Mountain, came across the tree, swereved to avoid it and ended up crashing into the base of the truck in the ditch.
Neither the driver nor the passenger were injured.
City crews spent several hours working to remove the tree from the roadway.
The road was clear to traffic shortly after 4 a.m.
- Large tree falls, blocks Bankhead Road for several hours
- Endangered aquatic salamander found in Bankhead National Forest
- Down trees, utility poles block several roads overnight
- Large Trees Causing Concern for Huntsville Residents
- Large trees brought down in Colbert County by strong winds
- Wreck blocks part of Sutton Road
- Fallen tree blocks part of Wall Triana Highway
- Tree falls onto south Huntsville apartment building
- Weekend storm creates potential for falling trees
- Wreck blocks portion of Memorial Parkway at Hobbs Road