The Morgan County Sheriff's Office and Alabama Department of Transportation are responding to a large crack that has developed in the southbound lanes of the 2,100 block of Hwy. 231 at Hill Road in Lacey's Spring at the top of the mountain.
Emergency road work will close the right lanes. This is not the first time a lane has had to be closed due to a crack. Last year, the same spot had to be repaired due to high waters.
Shana Talley has to drive from Huntsville to her home in Arab every day by taking Hwy. 231. On Monday, she noticed the road was starting to crack.
"When my car went up the thing, it was like bonk," Talley said.
On Tuesday, Talley joined several other drivers who sat in traffic, as crews shut down the right side lane. However, that is not the first time she has experienced this kind of traffic.
"It's been like that before. It's not that long ago," Talley said. "It's only been like just last year."
Seth Burkett with the Alabama Department of Transportation said last year, they repaired it by grinding off the old pavement and leveling it with asphalt. He said he suspects that is what they will do again.
"It looked like they put a band-aid over it to fix it later, and now, it's become still an issue because of all this traffic," Talley said.
However, the Alabama Department of Transportation was trying to be proactive last year. Burkett said they installed inclinometers on the mountain. It measures slope and elevation. This way, engineers can study the road.
For Talley, she said she will remain patient, but hopes it does not happen again.
The right side of the highway will be closed until it is dry enough for crews to repair it. Avoid the area if possible.
- Large crack in Lacey’s Spring road causing delays, emergency repairs underway
- Timeline being developed for Hwy. 231 road crack repairs in Lacey's Spring
- Several roads in Lacey's Spring still underwater
- Roads in Lacey's Spring clear up after flooding
- Pedestrian hit south of Lacey's Spring
- Valley Street in Lacey's Spring is underwater
- Firefighters busy responding to fires in Lacey's Spring, Union Grove
- Homeowners in Lacey's Spring still dealing with flooding issues
- Alabama State Troopers: 1 dead in wreck near Laceys Spring
- Dollar General having free giveaways at new Lacey's Spring store