GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Austin Langworthy's home run off Steven Williams' glove in the 11th inning gave overall top seed Florida a 3-2 victory against Auburn in the deciding game of their NCAA super regional Monday night, sending the defending national champion Gators to the College World Series for the fourth consecutive year.
Langworthy lined a pitch off freshman All-American closer Cody Greenhill (6-3) to the wall. Williams had a bead on it, but it bounced off his glove and over the fence. It was Langworthy's fourth homer of the season and second in the best-of-three series.
Williams dropped to the ground in disbelief as Florida players rushed the field and waited for Langworthy to touch home plate before mobbing him.
The Gators (47-19) advance to play Texas Tech in Omaha, Nebraska later this week. Florida is headed there for the seventh time in the last nine years.
Auburn (43-23) was trying to get to the CWS for the first time since 1997.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
6/11/2018 10:46:41 PM (GMT -5:00)
- Langworthy's homer sends Florida to College World Series
- Oklahoma tops Alabama 3-2 in the Women's College World Series
- Auburn beats UNC to advance to College World Series
- Brooks Sweetees back from World Series
- Oregon State wins 5-3 to force Game 3 of College World Series
- Alabama softball defeats Texas to secure 12th trip to Women’s College World Series
- Auburn falls to Mississippi State in game one of the College World Series
- World's busiest airport in Atlanta plans series of upgrades
- Brooks 6U Dixie Youth softball team going to World Series
- Help Huntsville all-star baseball team go to World Series