Thursday, police in Florence told WAAY 31 they’re looking for up to 4 suspects in the shooting of a 911 dispatcher.
We also learned the 911 dispatcher for Colbert County could be the victim of road rage. Cassie Sartain is still in Huntsville Hospital after someone shot her in the neck on Malone Circle.
"She's one of ours, she's one of us. I've known her most of her life," said Mike Melton, the supervisor over 911 dispatchers in Colbert County.
An empty desk marks the spot where Sartain should be at work in the 911 dispatch office in Tuscumbia. Melton said the last few days have been difficult and they are focusing on Cassie's recovery. Melton said she became a full time 911 dispatcher for them only a few months ago.
"She's very good at her job. She went from hiring in part time to full time in less than six months," said Melton.
Melton said Cassie is like a family member. Melton learned Cassie was shot when another dispatcher called him Wednesday morning.
"She broke down a little bit while telling me," said Melton.
Detectives with Florence police said they do not know if this was a random crime or if someone targeted Cassie. At least four bullets hit the truck Cassie was in on Malone Circle.
"Some type of incident happened which caused the road rage that lead into an argument and a gun being pulled out and her being shot in the neck through the vehicle," said Florence Police Sgt. Greg Cobb.
Police believe up to four suspects were in a dark colored Chevy Cruze when people inside started shooting. Melton said Cassie is tough, but it's hard knowing someone could hurt her like this.
"It's just a hurry up and wait, and not a lot of us are good at that. Her recovery will take some time," said Melton.
Melton also said he is confident Florence police will find the people responsible.
"If you know something say something. I know a lot of those guys I've worked here for 36 years and they will get you," said Melton.
Sartain's family and friends are asking for continued prayers as she recovers from her injuries. She remains in Huntsville Hospital in the Intensive Care Unit.
- Police release more details about dispatcher shot in Florence
- 911 Dispatcher shot after road rage incident
- New details on deadly Florence stabbing
- Details for 2019 Huntsville Christmas parade released
- Florence police create "Safe Zone"
- Florence police now carrying Narcan
- Details on updated financial agreement for Town Madison released
- Scientists release most detailed star chart of the Milky Way
- New details released just days ahead of the Royal wedding
- Legal battle centers on release of Alabama execution details