Just five days after announcing his decision to play basketball for the University of Alabama, four-star Hazel Green Point guard Kira Lewis made it official, putting pen to paper on Wednesday as he prepares to head to Tuscaloosa on Sunday and begin his college basketball career.
Lewis should be getting ready for his senior season of basketball at Hazel Green High School but instead he chose to take additional high school courses immediately after his junior year to see if he would be able to finish a year early and reclassify to the class of 2018. From there, it was all about finding the right suitor and in Alabama he saw an opportunity he just couldn't pass up.
"Just a guy like coach Avery (Johnson)," Lewis said. "It's family atmosphere. It's close to home. And they're making a good run in basketball so I just feel like it was great.
"They told me if I come in and work, I can play right away and help me get closer to my NBA dreams." "If I go in, work and do what I can, hopefully God will bless me and I'll fulfill that dream."
The 6-foot-3 point guard was rated fifth best player in the nation at his position by 247Sports and said he will move to Tuscaloosa on Sunday as classes begin on Aug. 22.
- Kira Lewis officially signs with Alabama
- Happy Birthday, Kira Lewis Jr.!
- Alabama freshman Kira Lewis Jr. decides to stay at Bama
- Kira Lewis Jr. is off to Greece representing Team USA
- Kira Lewis Jr. proud of his gold medal
- Alabama basketball's Kira Lewis Jr. named Co-SEC men’s basketball Player of the Week
- Kira Lewis Jr. and Team USA U19 Basketball win 2019 FIBA U19 World Cup
- Alabama LB Terrell Lewis out indefinitely with ACL tear
- Hazel Green's Lewis commits to Alabama, reclassifes to 2018
- Lewis's Late 3 Helps Lift Alabama Past Arizona