Photo Gallery 1 Images
UPDATE: Jefferson County Jail records show Johnson, who is from Addison, is charged with capital murder of a police officer. He was booked in the jail around 5:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Nick O’Rear was killed in the shooting. He was a father of two children and had a third one on the way. He had been with the department for a year.
"Alabama has lost another brave officer whose end of watch came too soon while protecting and serving his community. We all mourn during this tragic time for this officer, his family, and the Kimberly PD. The violence against law enforcement is maddening," Town posted to Twitter.
The State Bureau of Investigation is taking over the investigation.
According to a Facebook post from the Cullman County Sheriff's Office, in October of 2019, Johnson was arrested for receiving stolen property and several drug charges. The department says he was also in possession of an AR-15 when he was arrested.
Court records show Johnson has a long rap sheet that includes charges like possession of a controlled substance, theft of property, carrying a concealed weapon and leaving the scene of a wreck. His arrests date back to 2001.
Johnson pleaded guilty in 2016 in Morgan County to possession of a controlled substance.
An Alabama man is in custody after authorities say he's connected to a shooting involving a Kimberly police officer.
Preston Johnson, 37, and three others were taken into custody near Dora early Wednesday morning after a manhunt.
Officials say a Kimberly police officer and Johnson were involved in a chase on I-65 in Warrior late Tuesday night. The officer was taken to University of Alabama at Birmingham Hospital.
Around 1 a.m. Wednesday, the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency issued an Emergency BLUE Alert asking for the public's help locating Johnson.
Attorney General Steve Marshall posted on social media that the officer was critically injured.
- Kimberly police officer shot and killed; suspect charged with capital murder
- Man charged with killing Kimberly Police Officer has several arrests in Morgan County
- Mobile police officer shot & killed
- Capital murder suspect to appear in court
- Decatur police arrest two suspects for capital murder
- Huntsville man charged with capital murder
- Huntsville Police officer shot
- Mobile police officer shot and killed
- Mobile Police Officer shot and killed
- Police: murder suspect kills himself in Lawrenceburg