Photo Gallery 2 Images
The jury has returned guilty verdicts in the capital murder trial for Stephen Marc Stone.
Stone is charged with killing his wife and son, 32-year-old Krista Stone and 7-year-old Zachary Stone, inside their south Huntsville home on Feb. 24, 2013.
Sentencing is scheduled for 9 a.m. Wednesday. The hearing is expected to last all morning as more than 3 hours of testimony is planned, according to attorneys from both sides. The state is asking for the death penalty in the case.
"Our goal at this point is to a save a life ... There are already two deaths in this that no one can take back at this point," defense attorney Larry Marsili said.
Authorities say Stone strangled the victims. The trial was pushed back several times for mental evaluations of Stone, and he was found competent to stand trial but is pursuing an insanity defense.
Stone's son, Zachary, was a first grader at Mountain Gap Elementary School when he was murdered, the state says. Stone's 2-year-old and 4-year-old daughters were in the house at the time of the murders, according to Tim Gann, the chief trial attorney for the Madison County District Attorney's Office. He says the family planned for Stone's family to visit on that day.
The state says Stone got up the morning of Feb. 24 and went for a drive after leaving a note for his wife. Gann says the three kids and wife spent the day together, and Stone returned home around midnight. The state says Stone got in bed with his wife, Krista, who was upset that he had left that day. Gann says they moved to another room, continuing to talk while sitting on the couch and that he then attacked her.
Gann says Stone went for Krista's throat, holding her down on the couch and that, at some point, he adjusted and put her elbow on her neck while she was clawing, fighting and scratching, pleading for help. The state says Stone crushed her neck, killing her there on the couch.
"This family has been through an unimaginable event, and then it's drug out through these years. They are strong and steadfast," Gann said.
Check for updates on air at WAAY 31 and online at WAAYTV.com
- Jury finds Stephen Marc Stone guilty in murders of wife, son
- Decatur jury finds Cortez Mitchell guilty of murder
- Jury recommends life in prison for Huntsville man convicted of murdering wife, son
- Huntsville man who murdered wife, son gets life without parole
- Marshall County jury finds man guilty for five counts of capital murder
- 'Stand Your Ground:' Jury find Limestone County man not guilty of murder in 2015 shooting
- Murder trial underway for man charged with killing his wife and son
- Opening statements begin in Huntsville trial of man accused of murdering wife, son
- Sentencing hearing rescheduled for Huntsville man convicted of murdering wife, son
- Jury finds two men not guilty in Lauderdale County human trafficking case