Jemison High grad John Petty is one of just 25 high-profile college basketball players to receive an invitation to the 2018 Nike Skills Academy in Los Angeles, Calif.
The sophomore guard will be joined by fellow Tide teammate Herbert Jones in the event that runs Aug. 8-12.
"This is an incredible opportunity for both of us," Petty said. "We are excited to represent The University of Alabama and our basketball program in Los Angeles, and we're looking forward to learning a lot."
"I am very excited to be invited and participate in the Nike Skills Academy," Jones said. "This is a great opportunity for both of us. I expect to learn a lot, and we just want to take advantage of this opportunity and have fun."
Both Petty and Jones will have a chance to learn from and train with current and former NBA players as they run through a combine experience including off-court workouts, drills, film sessions and 5-on-5 competition.
- John Petty invited to 2018 Nike Skills Academy
- John Petty ready for big role at Bama
- Naval Academy says logo resembles its crest; Nike apologizes
- Sexton, Petty rally Alabama past Mercer 80-79
- Family: Tom Petty died of accidental drug overdose
- Sexton, Petty lead Alabama by Virginia Tech 86-83
- Foster Academy celebrates grand opening
- Huntsville's Petty scores 27, Alabama holds off No. 17 Auburn 76-71
- Officers graduate from Huntsville Police Academy