James Clemens High School is on a mission to win the school's first regional championship in football, but the Jets started off the season with some turbulence, losing their first two games.
“Obviously, they took the losses hard," JC Head Coach, Wade Waldrop said. "No one was satisfied with that or, you know, good with that.”
Then the team took off, making school history and getting its first victory over arch-rival Bob Jones High School.
"You know, beating those guys was great for our community," Waldrop said. " I told our guys that night that game wasn't going to define this year, and told them the years before when we lost that game, one game doesn't define a season."
But it's been a perfect season ever since. James Clemens is now on a four-game winning streak entering tonight's game against Grissom High School.
"You have to treat every game like it's a championship game," Jets quarterback, Jamil Muhammad, said. "You have to go into practice with the right mentality and the right attitude to dominate practice; that way you dominate the game.”
That's the senior's state of mind after missing the previous season with a torn ACL.
“Seeing the different changes, we’ve came through, like trials and tribulations, and different injuries, the way it changed the team, I feel like it’s all worked out for the better," Muhammad said. "I feel like that’s why we are where we are now.”
And right now, James Clemens is tied at first in the region with Austin High School, and their goal is in plain site.
"You know, two more region games to finish out where we want to finish out, which is with a region championship," Waldrop said.
If this happens, it would put this Jets team in the history books.
- James Clemens Jets are taking off
- Bob Jones takes down rival James Clemens
- Brotherly love at James Clemens
- Car crash drill at James Clemens High School
- James Clemens Trio Commits on Early Signing Day
- Week 10: Austin vs James Clemens Game of the Week preview
- Serbia takes delivery of 2 Russian fighter jets
- Training jet crashes in Mississippi
- Jets Bowler Strikes a Scholarship
- Alabama Guard unit getting F-35 fighter jets