CLIVE, Iowa (AP) - A single mother from the small Iowa community of Redfield has claimed her share of a nearly $700 million Powerball prize.
Iowa Lottery officials confirmed Monday that Lerynne (lah-RINN) West was one of two winners of a $688 million jackpot drawn Oct. 27. She'll share the prize with someone who bought the other winning ticket in New York City.
West opted for the cash option, which will pay her an immediate $198.1 million, minus taxes.
West said she dreamed of winning a jackpot, but "once you have won, you realize the responsibility and the impact you can make, and all the frivolity goes out the window."
The 51-year-old worked for a health insurance organization, but says she retired last week.
West overcame odds of 292.2 million to one to win.
- Iowa winner claims huge Powerball jackpot
- Winning $198 Powerball jackpot claimed in Tennessee
- Anonymous winner claiming $1.5 billion Mega Millions jackpot
- Iowa Powerball winner gives $500K to veterans group
- Powerball winner donates half a million dollars to veterans group
- New York man wins $344 million Powerball jackpot by playing same numbers for 25 years
- You might be hours away from winning the $750 million Powerball jackpot
- Powerball ticket claimed in Tennessee being split by Huntsville coworkers
- 20-year-old Florida man claims $450 million lottery jackpot