Investigators say the father in a fatal Limestone County shooting will not face charges. They say the shooting that happened on Corrie Lane in Athens appears to have been in self defense.
Deputies received the call around 9:20 p.m. Sunday.
WAAY 31 spoke with neighbors of the man who, investigators say, shot and killed his son.
“I just welcomed an 86-year-old woman and told her there was no reason to be afraid, that this street was safe, and that I’ve never felt unsafe," Brenda Haraway said.
Haraway told WAAY 31 she has lived on Corrie Lane for 25 years and never imagined a shooting would happen just across the street.
“I heard sirens and when I hear sirens, I always make it a habit to pray," Haraway said. "And, then, I realized the sirens were closer and there were blue lights.”
Haraway said the blue lights were in her friends’ driveway.
“I love them, I’m praying for them," she said. "Mr. and Mrs. Adams are good people. They’ve been married over fifty years and I know they love their children.”
According to investigators, 70-year-old James Adams shot and killed his son, 44-year-old Alfred Adams, after an argument.
Investigators said the father went to his room to go to bed and his son, Alfred, opened the door and entered the room. That's when, they said, James shot his son in the chest.
It’s something neighbors still can’t wrap their heads around.
“I’m sure it had to be a self-defense kind of thing, because that would never happen," Cheryl Trotter said. "They’re a fun-loving family.”
“It can happen to any family," Haraway added. "We have to get God back in our lives and in our families. Our children need God so very, very desperately.”
In the meantime, neighbors told WAAY 31 they’ll be praying for the family involved.
“This street is going to be all behind them," Trotter said. "Prayers for them, please, because they’re the sweetest couple.”
- Investigators: Limestone County man shot, killed son in self defense, will not be charged
- Father shoots and kills his son in Limestone County
- Huntsville man killed in Limestone County crash
- Man charged with impersonating Limestone County deputy
- Pedestrian killed in Limestone County
- Man in 'love triangle' shot in Limestone County
- Limestone County Investigators arrest three on drug related charges
- Limestone County investigators arrest three men on drug charges
- Alabama man charged in killing of girlfriend's baby son
- Rogersville woman killed in Limestone County crash