UPDATE: The Madison County Sheriff's Office has identifed the victims of the deadly shooting on Barberry Lane in Toney. 43-year-old Chad Wanca is the dead man. His son, 12-year-old Hunter Wanca, is in Children's Hospital in Birmingham. Investigators are not releasing the name of the son/brother because he is a juvenile.
He is charged with murder and attempted murder. He's charged as an adult.
Just after noon Saturday, Madison County deputies arrived outside a home in Toney to find a juvenile with his hands in the air. He immediately surrendered, according to investigators. The juvenile wasn't immediately arrested. That came after questioning.
Inside the home on Barberry Lane, they found a man and another juvenile suffering from gunshot wounds. Both were rushed to Huntsville Hospital. Doctors pronounced the man dead. The juvenile was flown to Children’s Hospital in Birmingham. He’s in critical condition.
Investigators arrested the suspect after questioning him at the Madison County Sheriff's Office Criminal Investigations Division. He was arrested as an adult and charged with murder and attempted murder. The juvenile is in the Madison County jail.
Both of the gunshot victims are family members of the suspect.
Deputies responded to the 200 block of Barberry Lane after getting three 911 calls about a domestic dispute.
Investigators say no additional information is available and identities are not being released until family members are notified.
- Investigators: Juvenile killed man and critically hurt child in Toney
- 4-year-old hurt after lawnmower accident in Toney
- Toney man killed in Decatur hit-and-run
- Overnight fire destroys Toney home
- Doctor and medical clinic in Toney under federal investigation
- Two charged with murder of Toney teenager
- Toney road reopens after afternoon wreck
- Suspect caught after search in Toney
- Accidental shooting in Toney leaves neighbors worried
- Bicyclist hit by vehicle in Toney