An Athens man is behind bars facing multiple charges and awaiting more after investigators say he conned a 74-year-old man out of $9,000 while impersonating as the Limestone County sheriff.
Limestone County authorities arrested Jerry DeWayne Long, 39, after receiving a report Sunday from the victim, who said he received a phone call from a man who said he was Sheriff Mike Blakely. Investigators say Long, acting as Blakely, asked the 74-year-old to leave more than $200 in a grill on a back porch because it was part of a drug sting. Long promised the victim he would return the money.
Authorities were soon able to identify Long as the suspect because he listed his own address for the money drop-off location.
Investigators found Long after receiving a tip he was at Athens Pharmacy. This is where he was believed to be trying to obtain narcotics. He was arrested after deputies found probable cause, and they were able to find cocaine, syringes and prescription pills in his possession.
It was determined after further investigation that Long had obtained $9,000 from the 74-year-old, and Long was using the money for purchasing drugs.
Long is charged with financial exploitation of an elderly person, criminal impersination of a peace officer, and he will later face charges for drug possession.
His bond is currently set at $7,500.
- Investigators: Athens man claims to be Limestone County Sheriff, steals $9000 from 74-year-old
- UPDATE: Limestone County sheriff charges suspect in murder of 74-year-old in Ardmore
- 74-year-old man dead after Thursday shooting in Ardmore
- Huntsville man charged in Athens, Limestone County armed robberies
- Missing stuff in Limestone County? Sheriff’s office says Athens man may have stolen it.
- Limestone County sheriff says Athens man assaulted his wife and her daughter
- Limestone County sheriff: Athens man charged for having sex with underage girls
- Athens police investigating shooting
- Funding cut for Athens-Limestone Public Library
- Sheriff: Investigation underway after Limestone County Jail inmate dies