BRENT, Ala. (AP) - Authorities say a prisoner stabbed another inmate to death at an Alabama prison.
Alabama Department of Corrections spokesman Bob Horton said in a statement that an inmate fatally stabbed 35-year-old Jeveria Odess McCall at a housing area at Bibb Correctional Facility on Tuesday evening. McCall was hospitalized and later died.
Twenty-nine-year-old Keandre Derrod Houston is charged in McCall's death. Horton said officials recovered a makeshift knife believed to be used in the stabbing.
News outlets report McCall was serving a 20-year sentence on a 2013 first-degree robbery conviction. Houston is serving a life sentence for a 2011 murder conviction.
It's unclear whether Houston has a lawyer.
The prison is about 55 miles southwest of Birmingham.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Inmate fatally stabbed in Bibb County
- Alabama inmate fatally stabbed
- Bibb County authorities searching for missing teen
- Alabama inmate fatally stabbed, several others injured
- Police investigate fatal stabbing in DeKalb County
- Prisoner stabbed to death by another inmate
- Inmate stabbed to death at Elmore County prison
- UPDATE: Limestone County teen fatally stabs mother and sister
- Escaped Limestone County inmate captured
- Man who claimed he buried Natalee Holloway fatally stabbed