State authorities are investigating the death of a man overnight at the Jackson County Jail.
Johnny Lester Townson, 47, of Rainsville, was found lying face down in a cell around 10:30 p.m., according to Jackson County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Rocky Harnen.
Harnen said Townson's death is believed to be from a medical issue.
Townson had been given a pass to visit his cardiologist earlier Monday in Birmingham and had come back late to the jail, Harnen said. He was in a holding cell waiting for a breathalyzer test when jail surveillance video showed he collapsed on the floor.
Townson was being held in the jail on multiple charges, including theft and escape, according to jail records.
The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency is investigating.
- Inmate dies at Jackson County Jail
- Morgan County Jail inmate dies
- Jackson County Jail escaped inmate recaptured
- Search underway for escaped Jackson County jail inmate
- Jackson County Jail inmate accused of attacking corrections officer
- Investigation under way after Madison County Jail inmate dies
- Madison man identified as Morgan County Jail inmate who died
- Sheriff: Investigation underway after Limestone County Jail inmate dies
- Jackson County inmate escapes from job site
- Inmate escaped from Morgan County Jail