UPDATE: (9:30 p.m.) Interstate 565 is back open.
According to Lt. Johnson with Huntsville police, the officer was working a multi-vehicle wreck on Interstate 565 eastbound near Glenn Hearn, just after 7 p.m.
The patrol car that was hit
Johnson said the officer was protecting the scene in the far left lane with his vehicle's blue police lights flashing while crews worked to remove a wrecked vehicle. While the officer was working on paperwork in his patrol vehicle, Johnson says a vehicle going eastbound hit him from behind, and a secondary vehicle then struck the first vehicle.
According to Johnson, the only injuries were to the Huntsville police officer, and they are non-life-threatening. He is expected to be released from the hospital soon.
Interstate 565 eastbound is shut down at Exit 8, the exit for Huntsville International Airport, following a wreck that happened around 7:30 p.m. Monday.
According to Don Webster with Huntsville Emergency Medical Services Inc, a Huntsville police officer was involved in the wreck and was taken to Huntsville Hospital.
Lt. Michael Johnson with Huntsville police said the officer was hit from behind and has non-life-threatening injuries.
WAAY 31 has a reporter at the scene and will provide updates.
- Huntsville police officer injured in wreck on Interstate 565
- Wreck causes morning headaches on Interstate 565
- Wreck causes traffic problems eastbound on Interstate 565
- Driver injured after vehicle hit guardrail on Interstate 565
- Two lanes back open after wreck on Interstate 565 near Exit 19A
- Traffic Alert: All lanes back open on Interstate 565 after wreck
- Interstate 565 to be temporarily shut down due to blasting
- Deputy shares similar experience after wreck injures Huntsville officer
- Huntsville Police officer shot
- Huntsville police looking for man who injured police officer