UPDATE: (9:30 p.m.) Interstate 565 is back open.
According to Lt. Johnson with Huntsville police, the officer was working a multi-vehicle wreck on Interstate 565 eastbound near Glenn Hearn, just after 7 p.m.
The patrol car that was hit
Johnson said the officer was protecting the scene in the far left lane with his vehicle's blue police lights flashing while crews worked to remove a wrecked vehicle. While the officer was working on paperwork in his patrol vehicle, Johnson says a vehicle going eastbound hit him from behind, and a secondary vehicle then struck the first vehicle.
According to Johnson, the only injuries were to the Huntsville police officer, and they are non-life-threatening. He is expected to be released from the hospital soon.
Interstate 565 eastbound is shut down at Exit 8, the exit for Huntsville International Airport, following a wreck that happened around 7:30 p.m. Monday.
According to Don Webster with Huntsville Emergency Medical Services Inc, a Huntsville police officer was involved in the wreck and was taken to Huntsville Hospital.
Lt. Michael Johnson with Huntsville police said the officer was hit from behind and has non-life-threatening injuries.
WAAY 31 has a reporter at the scene and will provide updates.
- Huntsville police officer injured in wreck on Interstate 565
- Huntsville police: Wreck on Interstate 565 eastbound is causing delays
- Wreck causes morning headaches on Interstate 565
- Madison police respond to Interstate 565 wreck, ice on roads
- Wreck causes traffic problems eastbound on Interstate 565
- Driver injured after vehicle hit guardrail on Interstate 565
- Traffic Alert: Huntsville emergency crews respond to six-vehicle wreck on Interstate 565
- UPDATE: Crews reopen portion of Interstate 565 in Huntsville after 18-wheeler wreck
- Madison police: Avoid Interstate 565 westbound lanes near Wall Triana exit due to wreck
- Madison police: Avoid Exit 9 westbound to Interstate 565 due to wreck