Huntsville police said scammers are impersonating police in an effort to coax cash out of their victims.
Police said someone is disguising the police department's non-emergency number, 256-722-7100, and telling callers they work for the Huntsville Police Department. The caller then tells the victim that they owe the department money and if they don't pay, a warrant will be issued for their arrest.
Police said the call is a scam and is not the way the department operates.
Police said anyone who gets the call should contact them and let them know.
- Huntsville police warn of scammers impersonating officers
- Huntsville Police officer shot
- Huntsville Police warn of a new scam
- BBB warns of scammers for Hurricane Florence charities
- Huntsville police officers cleared in deadly shooting
- Huntsville police officers receiving crisis intervention training
- Officers graduate from Huntsville Police Academy
- Huntsville Police Officer charged with murder
- Huntsville Police Officer, William Darby's background
- Man charged with impersonating Limestone County deputy