Huntsville police are increasing patrols in a Huntsville neighborhood after a family's dog was shot and killed during a home invasion. It happened Tuesday night at a home on Gallatin Street, near Bob Wallace Avenue.
The victims of the robbery posted online saying someone kicked in their backdoor and immediately shot their dog.
Dee Murphy lives just down the street from where the robbery happened. When she heard what her neighbors went through, "I was in shock, because to me, this is a very safe neighborhood," said Murphy.
The victims said a man shot their lab, Pippa, four to five times after kicking their door in. They said he started yelling and told them to give him the money and goods. The post online to GoFundMe said the family of three was able to call police once the gunman went outside to steal money from their car.
Monique Haselden lives right next door to where this happened.
"It makes me want to kind of be a little bit more vigilant of course, but I still think it's a safe neighborhood," said Haselden.
The increased police presence in the area makes Murphy and Haselden feel safer, but Murphy told WAAY 31 the community is already coming together to look out for each other.
"It makes us want to reach out more to each other than we already do," said Murphy.
Huntsville police have made no arrests in the case.
The family who was robbed created a GoFundMe campaign that said they want to move as soon as possible, and they need help with the expenses.
- Huntsville police increasing patrols after dog shot, killed in home invasion
- Tennessee teen shot and killed during home invasion
- Huntsville police arrest 2 in home invasions, drug robberies
- Huntsville Police officer shot
- Man killed in Trinity home invasion identified
- Huntsville police and City officials plan to increase patrol in North Huntsville
- Hazel Green neighbors react after man shot in home invasion
- Man killed in home invasion kidnapped woman in Huntsville weeks before
- Neighbors react after man killed in home invasion
- Mobile police officer shot & killed