Huntsville police have arrested a suspect, 32-year-old Marcus McCarver, for capital murder in a fatal apartment shooting on March 20.
McCarver is accused of murdering 19-year-old Austin Rich at Brixworth at Bridgestreet apartments. Authorities originally arrested another man, 28-year-old Demorris Lauderdale, for Rich's death.
The charges against Lauderdale were dropped at the end of April. Lauderdale was in jail for 20 days for capital murder before his attorney submitted evidence, surveillance photos and a gas station receipt showing he was hundreds of miles away in Georgia, just before the shooting.
Police eyewitness accounts led to the arrest of Demorris Lauderdale. They say the new capital murder arrest comes after additional information became available. At this time, police are not releasing that information.
There was not a bond set for McCarver, since he was arrested on a capital murder charge. Officials say the charge is capital because a drug-related robbery was underway when the homicide happened.
This is an ongoing investigation, and police say more arrests are possible in the future.
The Family of Austin Rich told WAAY 31 they are happy police have made another arrest, but they are still in the grieving process. It has been a roller coaster of emotions the entire time. They simply was closure and justice for Austin.
- Huntsville police make new arrest in March murder
- Huntsville police make arrest in Beaumont Place murder
- Huntsville police make second arrest in Beaumont Place murder
- Huntsville police: Blood evidence links suspect to March murder
- Woman arrested after 21-year-old murdered, Huntsville police say
- Madison County Sheriff's Office makes murder arrest
- Huntsville Police Officer charged with murder
- Huntsville police charge man with murder
- Huntsville Police discuss murder numbers for 2018
- Huntsville police investigating Thursday night murder