The Huntsville Police Department has identified the pedestrian hit and killed by a car while crossing Memorial Parkway late Friday.
Richard Lavon Clayborn, 48, was trying to cross the roadway near Oakwood Avenue about 10 p.m. Friday, said Lt. Michael Johnson, police spokesman.
A pedestrian death on North Memorial Parkway is raising concern for folks who work along the busy highway.
Huntsville Police believe the pedestrian was trying to cross the parkway Friday night when he was struck by a car in the northbound lanes near Cook Avenue.
WAAY 31 caught up with one man who works at a local business nearby who tells us he saw the accident happen. He says he sees people cross the parkway all the time.
"I've seen kids, adults...You can barely see the cars coming in the day time...At night, you're playing Russian Roulette with your life," says Jarvis Bridgette.
He works at the Krispy Kreme off of North Memorial Parkway. He tells us he saw Friday night's car wreck.
"At first it appeared to be a car wreck but later it turned out that a pedestrian had gotten hit by another car", he explains.
Bridgette tells us he sees people crossing the parkway frequently and that it concerns many people in the area. He says people cross the parkway to get to work and to go home. He believes to prevent another pedestrian death, the city should consider putting a crosswalk or an overpass over the parkway for pedestrians.
"They should put up a crosswalk so people won't have to risk their lives trying to get from point a to point b", says Bridgette.
Friday night's car wreck claimed the life of a man who was crossing the parkway. Officials believe he was in the road when he was struck and he was trying to get to the other side.
"It's just tragic this guy lost his life", says Bridgette.
- Huntsville police identify pedestrian killed crossing Memorial Parkway Friday night
- Pedestrian hit, killed in wreck on Memorial Parkway in Huntsville
- Pedestrian killed in hit-and-run on Memorial Parkway
- Pedestrian killed crossing Decatur street
- UPDATE: Huntsville police identify pedestrian hit and killed
- Huntsville police identify pedestrian killed in Whitesburg Drive wreck
- Pedestrian death on North Memorial Parkway raises concerns
- Huntsville Police investigating robbery at Regions Bank on Memorial Parkway
- Huntsville police: Wreck on South Memorial Parkway causes traffic delays
- Huntsville police arrest suspect after shooting, stabbing near Memorial Parkway