Huntsville police: More arrests made in Flint River kayaking attack

Police say at least one more arrest is still expected in the case.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 8:59 AM
Updated: Jun 17, 2019 8:00 PM

UPDATE: Huntsville police say two suspects, Zachary Young and Brittany Pratt, turned themselves in Monday afternoon and were booked in jail for the Flint River attack.

Brittany Pratt, 25, is charged with misdemeanor assault, and her bond is set at $1,000.

Jordan English, Zachary Young and Brittany Pratt

Zachary Young, 25, is facing two charges. He's charged with felony assault and misdemeanor assault. His bond is set at $3,500.

Police say at least one more arrest is still expected in the case.



A man has been charged by Huntsville police in an assault on the Flint River that left a teenager with injuries so severe, he needed facial reconstructive surgery.

Huntsville police arrested Jordan English on Sunday. He's since bonded out of jail.

Huntsville police said the arrest on Sunday is not the last one expected in the case. Police said more arrests are expected and at least one other suspect could be facing felony charges.

John Cole Norris was on the kayaking trip and said he was relieved to learn English was arrested.

"I know it will take time, and that's okay. Just as long as what they deserve happens, that will be good," Norris said.

He said the attack is still fresh on all of their minds.

"We are sitting there hands up begging, 'Please stop,' and they just didn't care and continue to go on," he said.

Norris said during the days following the incident, he stayed with his friend, Collins Nelson, because they were both traumatized by the assault.

"It's pretty rough. I slept in the same room as him. We were just up all night. He was just throwing up blood, water and all kinds of nasty stuff," he said.

Will League, the attorney who's representing Nelson, said his son was also on the kayak trip, and he still remembers when he found out what happened.

"I got a call from my son. First thing he said is, 'I'm okay. We got attacked on the river.' I asked him to tell me what happened," he said.

League said Nelson wasn't as lucky as his son who wasn't injured. Since the attack, Nelson's had facial reconstructive surgery and metal plates were inserted into his face to fix his eye socket. His broken nose was also fixed.

Now, the group that was attacked just days after graduating high school says they want to move on.

"It sucks that this happens in the last month that me and my friends get to spend time with each other," Norris said.

Their parents say they hope the people responsible are held accountable for the crimes.

"It's terrifying for any parent. Whether they were 18 or 25 or 30, no one should be subjected to the type of treatment they were subjected to," League said.

League said he's filed two civil lawsuits against two of the men involved in the attack. The latest suit was filed Monday afternoon. Nelson's family is seeking for the men to pay for his medical bills and other damages.

League also said since our story first aired at the beginning of the June, witnesses not involved in the attack have come forward and made statements that back up the teens' claims about the attack.

Read more about this story here. To read the two civil lawsuits filed by Will League, click here and here.

Article Comments

Few Clouds
57° wxIcon
Hi: 61° Lo: 38°
Feels Like: 57°
62° wxIcon
Hi: 65° Lo: 42°
Feels Like: 62°
Few Clouds
55° wxIcon
Hi: 60° Lo: 39°
Feels Like: 55°
55° wxIcon
Hi: 61° Lo: 39°
Feels Like: 55°
57° wxIcon
Hi: 60° Lo: 40°
Feels Like: 57°
WAAY Radar
WAAY Temperatures



Community Events