The Huntsville Police Department arrested a suspect they say stole women’s purses in the medical district and Meridian Street areas and then went to local businesses to use credit cards he found in them.
Fredrick Burkfield, 49, was arrested Wednesday and charged with driving with a suspended license, burglary, two counts of third-degree theft, four counts of fraudulent use of a credit/debit card, and identity theft.
Lt. Michael Johnson, police spokesman, said Burkfield would walk in off the street and go into offices of local businesses, including Huntsville Hospital, the Big Brothers, Big Sisters and Averbuch Management Company, Service 1st Bank, and Regency Health and Rehab.
Johnson said Burkfield has current cases on similar charges in Athens and Decatur.
- Huntsville police arrest purse snatching suspect
- Man wanted in Nashville purse snatching arrested in Scottsboro
- Huntsville police arrest GameStop robbery suspect
- Huntsville Police arrest Irondale man suspected for robbery in Kentucky
- Huntsville Police arrest suspect on counterfeit money charges
- Huntsville Police arrest suspect for fatal shooting on Atkins Drive
- Huntsville police arrest suspect after shooting, stabbing near Memorial Parkway
- Update: Huntsville police arrest debit card fraud suspect
- Huntsville police arrest suspect after weekend gas station robbery
- Decatur police: Suspect knocks on door, hits woman, takes her purse