Huntsville police say they have arrested a suspect, 29-year-old Delvon Barnett, and charged him with capital murder for the incident on Tuesday night at Highway 72 and Mastin Lake Road, where a victim’s wife wrecked after trying to get the victim, 41-year-old James Edwin Jones, to the hospital.
Police say after many interviews Wednesday afternoon, authorities executed a search warrant at Barnett's home and criminal evidence was found Wednesday evening.
According to Huntsville police, on Tuesday, officers responded to the scene at Highway 72 and Mastin Lake Road when a female advised her husband had been shot at Fuel City. They say she left the area to take him to the hospital and then later crashed their vehicle. Jones was later pronounced dead due to gunshot wounds.
Huntsville police say Jones was involved in a drug transaction gone bad, and Barnett was also in the car at the time of the shooting. Police say the case involved a drug transaction and robbery at the time the shooting happened.
Barnett was booked in the Madison County Jail.
For more information about the incident, click HERE.
- Huntsville police say shooting on Highway 72 and Mastin Lake Road was a drug deal gone bad
- Police: 1 dead in shooting, wreck near Mastin Lake Road
- Memorial Parkway, Mastin Lake reopens
- Huntsville police: All lanes of Blue Spring Road, south of Mastin Lake Road, closed after wreck
- Huntsville police: Pulaski Pike and Mastin Lake Road back open after traffic accident
- Wreck knocks down utility pole, blocks Mastin Lake Road
- Crash shuts down access road to Memorial Parkway at Mastin Lake Road in Huntsville
- Huntsville police: Northbound traffic down to one lane after wreck on Memorial Parkway at Mastin Lake
- One dead in wreck on Highway 72 in Huntsville
- Madison Co. road will soon extend to Highway 72 East