Huntsville police say a man was arrested after leaving his child in a hot car while shoplifting at a Walmart on Monday around noon.
Police say the suspect, 27-year-old Travis Sasser, ran out the door with a $259 blender and dropped his car keys. They say he didn’t know he'd dropped the keys when he got to the car. Police say he put the merchandise in and shut the door, which locked the car.
According to police, he called 911 after realizing the two-year-old child had been in the car for an hour. Police say the windows were up and there was no air conditioning.
Deborah Cockfield was shopping with three of her daughters at Walmart on Wednesday. She said she's shocked to learn another parent would leave their kid in the car alone.
"It's just too hot for that and it's not safe anyway to do that. That's the heat of the day. That's crazy. That's crazy," she said.
Officers arrived at the Walmart and broke a window of the car to get the child out. Police said Sasser told them his child had been in the car for only a few minutes, but surveillance video showed Sasser in the car for about an hour. Police said the child was never taken out of the car.
"I guess if you're going to steal, then you don't reason too many things out anyway. You're breaking the law," she said.
Walmart's loss prevention officer contacted Huntsville police and said Sasser stole from the store. Loss prevention later learned keys they found in the parking lot were Sasser's keys. Loss prevention turned them over to police.
The child was taken to Huntsville Hospital and is expected to be okay. Sasser is charged with domestic violence by reckless endangerment and theft of property.
- Huntsville police: Man left 2-year-old in hot car while shoplifting at Walmart
- Hartselle police: Man released from prison arrested for shoplifting at Walmart in 2012
- Fingerprint left in Play-Doh leads to shoplifting suspect
- Huntsville Animal Services seeing more calls for pets left in hot cars
- Huntsville police seek suspects in Walmart theft
- Arab police seek identification in shoplifting case
- Man arrested after child was left in car, police say
- Police: 1 of 2 infants left in hot car dies in Alabama
- Huntsville Police: shoplifting suspects fought store security while trying to get away
- Huntsville man dead after car left the road, struck a tree