A Huntsville man is in the Madison County Jail after Huntsville police say he burned and raped a woman.
Luke Cole, 36, is charged with kidnapping first-degree (kidnapping an adult for sexual assault), rape first-degree (rape strong arm) and assault first-degree (aggravated assault non-family-knife)
Police say the woman met Cole through Facebook, where they began talking online. Lt. Michael Johnson with Huntsville police says the woman was able to escape Monday morning and run to an apartment complex for help.
Sally Mixon lives in Patterson Place Apartments off Blue Spring Road and said she heard about the kidnapping and rape, but didn't realize the woman got help at her apartment complex. The incident did not happen at this apartment complex. Police say it happened at Cole's home.
"I was like goodness, that is so scary," she said.
Police said the victim got away from Cole and started banging on a neighbor's door at about 5 o'clock Monday morning.
"I'm glad she was able to get away and get to someone who was able to help her," Mixon said.
According to police, the woman met Cole on Facebook and when she went over to his house, he assaulted and raped her. Police said the victim has serious injuries because Cole burned all of her body, including her private areas.
"That is something awful. That's demonic," Mixon said.
The victim is at Vanderbilt Hospital being treated for her injuries, according to police.
"That could have ended really bad. Even though it did end kind of horrible, she did get away with her life," she said.
Mixon said the apartment complex is normally fairly quiet and has a lot of seniors living there.
"That was very fortunate that someone opened the door, because being an old person, sometimes they shy away from opening the door," Mixon said.
She hopes this serves as a warning to others about why they should be cautious when meeting someone in person who they met online.
Huntsville police said Cole could possibly face more charges. As of Tuesday evening, he is still in the Madison County Jail. Police said his bond was set at $150,000.
- Huntsville police: Man facing multiple charges after he kidnapped, raped and burned a woman
- Decatur police charge man in rape, kidnapping
- Red Bay man facing multiple rape, sodomy charges
- Woman faces multiple charges after police chase on Memorial Parkway
- Morgan County sheriff: Falkville man facing rape charge
- Huntsville Police searching for multiple theft suspects
- Huntsville police: Man charged after cutting woman in fight
- Scottsboro police arrest woman on multiple drug charges
- Florence man charged with domestic violence, kidnapping
- Second man charged in Decatur kidnapping, robbery