UPDATE: (7:30 p.m.) Authorities say Lauderdale is charged with capital murder. Officials say the charge is capital because a drug-related robbery was underway when the shooting at Brixworth at Bridgestreet apartments happened.
A 28-year-old Madison County man is in custody in connection with the March 20 shooting death of Austin D’mar Rich, according to Huntsville police.
Rich, 19, was killed inside his girlfriend’s apartment at Brixworth at Bridgestreet apartments.
Demorris Senyon Lauderdale was arrested in Clayton County, GA., which is about 200 miles from Huntsville and south of Atlanta. Records show that Lauderdale was booked into jail Wednesday afternoon by Clayton County police for a "fugitive from justice" charge.
Huntsville police say investigators worked with Clayton County police and a SWAT in the area to catch Lauderdale, and he will be extradited to Alabama in the coming days.
WAAY 31 looked into Lauderdale's past and learned this isn't his first arrest. Huntsville Police arrested him three days prior to the Brixworth murder for possession of marijuana. Madison County court records show Lauderdale was also arrested in 2018 for a felony possession of marijuana charge along with two misdemeanors for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Lauderdale's attorney said the two misdemeanors will be recharged along with the felony. The case is expected to be presented to a grand jury.
- Huntsville police: Man connected to fatal apartment shooting charged with capital murder
- Huntsville man charged with capital murder
- Bond denied for man charged with capital murder in Huntsville
- Huntsville police charge man with murder
- Man charged with capital murder for shooting after argument
- Man charged with capital murder for Athens shooting
- One dead in fatal apartment shooting in Huntsville
- Defense speaks out after Huntsville capital murder charges dropped
- Man indicted on capital murder charges for 2016 Toney murders
- Man charged after Athens apartment complex shooting