A man hit and killed while walking on Highway 72 in Madison County was hit by multiple cars at 12:01 a.m. That information coming into the WAAY31 newsroom from the coroner, Wednesday afternoon.
Troopers say 58 year-old Robert Lewis Freeman was walking near mile marker 104 around midnight. He was hit by one car, and run over by others.
Martin Smith lives steps away from the area of Highway 72 east where Freeman was killed.
"I've been out here for over 13 years and I've never once heard of a pedestrian get hit on this part of the highway, especially at that time of night," Smith said.
Madison County Coroner Tyler Berryhill says the man died from multiple blunt force injuries from the first car. Smith says he almost got hit once himself.
"I almost got hit by an 18 wheeler, it was at dark and he was traveling down this road without his lights on. I looked both ways to cross the road," Smith said.
WAAY31 asked troopers what the man was doing out there in the middle of the night and if they believe he was under the influence. They have not answered my question and said the crash is under investigation.
Smith hopes this is an eye-opener to everyone that drives or walks near the highway.
"You gotta make sure all 4 lanes are clear before you cross this highway, it is very dangerous, and you gotta be aware of your surroundings," Smith said.
Berryhill said no autopsy will be performed as the cause of death has been determined.
Alabama State Troopers say a pedestrian was killed about 12:01 a.m. Wednesday after being struck by a vehicle on U.S. 72 in Madison County.
Robert Lewis Freeman, 58, of Huntsville was struck and killed by a 2015 Kia Optima while walking in the highway at the 104 Mile Marker three miles east of Huntsville, said Trooper Curtis Summerville.
Freeman was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the Kia was not injured.
- Huntsville man killed in early Wednesday crash on U.S. 72
- Huntsville man dies in early Thursday crash
- Man killed in Wednesday night crash identified
- Huntsville man killed in Marshall County crash
- Huntsville man killed in Limestone County crash
- Pedestrian killed in early morning crash
- One dead in wreck on Highway 72 in Huntsville
- Athens man killed in crash
- Killen Police identify man killed while trying to cross Highway 72
- Athens man dies following wreck on Highway 72