Huntsville Utilities is warning customers about a texting scam, an approach which has not been used before. According to a spokesman for HU, a customer received a message which read how "Huntsville Power and Gas" owes them a refund, and then contains a link for the customer to click. The customer knew not to click the link and immediately reported it to Huntsville Utilities.
"Yesterday afternoon. The first time that we've seen the attempt at texting," said Joe Gehrdes the Director of Communications for Huntsville Utilities.
Gehrdes said customers have been receiving scam phone calls for about a month now something he said is normal around the holidays.
"Our customers are constantly being targeted, but it has been especially bad this Holiday Season."
He said while most people hang up the phone, he's concerned someone may actually fall for the text message attempt because it tells them they're getting a refund.
"Of course the text contains a suspicious link which people should never click on at any time but certainly not to give a scammer a way into maybe your banking information or your credit card information."
One customer said it's unfortunate that people try to take advantage of others especially around the holidays when people are most vulnerable.
"It's getting close to christmas and a lot of people if you hear hey I may be getting something extra an incentive for doing the right thing then you know that's a reward so you're happy about that," said Justin Taylor.
Gehrdes said customers should be aware of the different ways Huntsville Utilities will contact them if needed.
"Generally we'll contact you through the mail. If you do e-billing you might get an email. In rare cases if it's a unique situation we may call you."
Gehrdes said they will never call a customer demanding immediate payment and they won't contact you through text. If you receive the text, Huntsville Utilities says you should just delete it. If you fall victim, you should contact your law enforcement agency.
- Huntsville Utilities warning about new texting scam
- Huntsville Utilities warns customers of scam calls
- Huntsville Police warn of a new scam
- Huntsville Utilities proposes rate increase
- Huntsville Utilities explains energy consumption
- Card skimmer scams strike Huntsville
- Huntsville Utilities lineman explains Hurricane relief efforts
- Huntsville Utilities closing portion of Clinton Avenue
- UPDATE: Huntsville Utilities restores power to Meridianville
- Utility crews hit gas line in south Huntsville