(Note: This story originally aired in March 2017.)
Julian Patterson was hired around the beginning of February 2017 to be a teacher at Huntsville Junior High.
WAAY 31 obtained documents that stated charges against Patterson for domestic violence, harassment and public lewdness.
The documents also revealed Patterson is working to get them dropped, and it has everything to do with employment.
Parents told WAAY 31 Patterson did not return to the classroom after spring break.
Julie Cole's son was in Patterson's eighth grade science class and told WAAY 31 she was never notified by the school about the sudden change.
"My son told me it sounded like, you know, a childish rumor mill to me. The first thing i did was went to Google and looked him up, and I did see indeed he had been arrested multiple times," Cole said. "It's very concerning if it's as easy for me to find it," she continued.
Patterson is seeking to have charges of public lewdness and domestic violence thrown out.
WAAY 31 wanted to know if a parent could find his record, why couldn't the school board?
The school district told us state records indicated he had passed an "Alabama State Bureau of Investigation and FBI criminal background check."
"It's scary to think that they are just putting someone in there that they are not sure of their background," Cole said.
The district did confirm to WAAY 31 Patterson was placed on administrative leave.
It wouldn't tell us when or why he was placed on leave.
- Huntsville Junior High School teacher placed on administrative leave
- Huntsville Junior High School teacher resigns
- Elementary school teacher on paid administrative leave
- Meningococcus reported at Scottsboro Junior High School
- Tanner High School Principal was put on administrative leave
- Superintendent: Muscle Shoals High School coach on paid administrative leave
- Junior high teacher accused of feeding puppy to turtle
- NASA administrators visit Arab High School
- Students surprise teacher at Lee High School in Huntsville
- Julian Harris Elementary School principal placed on paid administrative leave