New Section 8 housing could be coming to your community. WAAY 31 learned the Huntsville Housing Authority wants to demolish one public housing complex and that means it needs to find new homes for almost 200 families.
Huntsville Housing Authority is applying for approval from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to tear down Sparkman Homes which is located off Holmes Avenue on Mason Court. WAAY 31 learned it wants to demolish the complex because it believes the condition of the homes are not fit to live in.
"It's awful. It's just horrible. Nasty. Give me a bulldozer I'll tear them down for free," said Erica Boyd who lives at Sparkman Homes.
She's relieved to hear the public housing complex might finally be demolished. Huntsville Housing Authority documents obtained by WAAY 31 say Sparkman Homes is not fit to live in, and it would cost a lot more money to fix than demolish. Boyd is excited to join more than 200 families with section 8 housing vouchers across Hampton Cove, South Huntsville, Madison and New Market.
"Hampton cove is awesome. "Anything is better than here," she said.
Not everyone we talked to shared Boyd's enthusiasm.
"Same thing is happening all over. If it's like the last time then it's all over it's a done deal," Mickey Lockard who lives in Owens Cross Roads said.
He’s unhappy the City of Huntsville helped fund Flint River Apartments in his neighborhood. It opened with Section 8 and Affordable Housing Options in 2016.
"That concerns me. I hate for somebody else to pay someone's rent because they feel no obligation to be there," Lockard added.
Lockard said he's not excited the housing authority will now need to create even more options which could mean new neighbors for just about anyone in Madison County.
"What do we do? Something's going to affect our community and we have no say so . We didn't know anything about it," he added.
WAAY 31 reached out to the Huntsville Housing Authority to learn more about the possible demolition of Sparkman Homes, and we have not heard back from them as of Wednesday evening.
- Huntsville Housing Authority looks to move families throughout Madison County
- Madison County authorities identify package theft suspect
- Kitchen fire displaces Madison County family
- Madison County authorities charge man with child sex abuse
- Madison County authorities bust suspected credit card thief
- Madison County authorities find marijuana, guns in two drug busts
- Authorities investigating shooting in Madison area
- Madison authorities searching for card cloning scammer
- Madison County Tiger walk
- High Huntsville voter turnout turns Madison County blue