Photo Gallery 1 Images
A grandmother and her five-year-old granddaughter are relying on help from friends and family after a fire destroyed their home.
Volunteer firefighters said the fire started at the home on County Road 14 before noon on Tuesday. Oakland, Central, Waterloo, Underwood-Petersville and Cloverdale Volunteer Fire Departments all responded to the scene. Firefighters said when they got there, the home was fully engulfed in flames and the home is a total loss.
"I walk out and there is flames shooting out of the house. Instantly, I knew it was an older lady who lived there and I went running down the road. Luckily they had gotten out of the house," said David Allen, who lives down the road from the home that caught fire.
Allen said the five-year-old girl was upset about her barbie dolls that were still in the house.
"The sad thing was the little girl the whole time was tore up saying, 'I just got my new barbie set,'" said Allen.
Allen said his fiance survived a house fire when she was a child and was able to offer words of kindness to the little girl and her grandmother.
"She consoled her and we got them some blankets and some shoes and stuff we had laying around the house to keep them warm," said Allen.
Volunteer firefighters said the home was built in the 1930's which made it difficult to get the fire under control as it spread into the attic. After a few hours, they were able to stop it.
"Everybody kind of knows everybody, and I'm really glad they are okay," said Allen.
Officials said the grandmother and the little girl are staying with other family members. In total, 25 volunteer firefighters were on the scene of that house fire, according to volunteer firefighters.
- House fire displaces a child and grandmother in Lauderdale County
- Oakland community collecting donations for child and grandmother displaced by house fire
- Two people displaced in morning house fire
- Family of 10 displaced after house fire
- Lauderdale County Homicide Investigation
- 2 people dead in Lauderdale County house fire
- Kitchen fire displaces Madison County family
- Lauderdale County man arrested on 76 child pornography charges
- Storm damage in Lauderdale County
- Lauderdale County inmate found dead