BC-US--House Explosion-Barricaded Person,2nd Ld-Writethru
House explodes while police on scene for barricaded person
Eds: APNewsNow. Adds that firefighters worked to get the blaze under control more than an hour later. Edits to tighten. Will be updated.
NORTH HAVEN, Conn. (AP) - A house in Connecticut has exploded while police and a SWAT team were outside, responding to a report of a barricaded person.
The explosion happened Wednesday night in North Haven. WFSB-TV reports at least three police officers were seen being placed into ambulances.
Residents near the home reported on the police department's Facebook page that they heard the explosion and felt their own homes shake around 8:30 p.m.
Video shows police rushing to the scene and a raging fire.
Police have not released any details about why they were there, but issued road closures and asked that people to avoid the area.
Firefighters worked to get the blaze under control more than an hour later.
State police say they are assisting with the investigation.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
5/2/2018 8:45:27 PM (GMT -5:00)
- House explodes while police on scene for barricaded person
- UPDATE: HPD on scene at Shady Lane regarding barricaded subject
- Gunman barricaded inside a Huntsville apartment
- Fugitive barricaded inside home now in custody
- 2 IEDs explode at Florida mall, police say
- Truck explodes at Guntersville gas station
- Neighbors react to man barricading himself in woman's home
- Police: Drivers who go around Cecil Ashburn barricades will face tickets
- Huntsville police barricade Little Cove Road after woman rescued from flood waters
- Huntsville police on shooting scene off Blue Spring Road