Late night chimney fire displaces Monrovia family

Fire officials said something was wrong with the chimney that helped cause the fire.

Posted: Nov 15, 2017 3:09 AM
Updated: Nov 15, 2017 8:44 AM

A house fire late Tuesday night uprooted a family in Monrovia.

The Monrovia Fire Department responded to the call of a house fire around 11 p.m. on R Hammond Court, just north of Capshaw Road.

Heavy damage was caused when the fire spread in the attic. Heavy damage was caused when the fire spread in the attic.

Monrovia Fire Chief Kris West told WAAY 31 that when they arrived on scene, they saw smoke and flames coming out of the chimney.

They along with the Madison Fire and Rescue and Harvest Volunteer Fire Department worked to knock down the fire. West said they had it under control within about 15 minutes.

West said according to the homeowner, he was lighting the stove as a source of heat and within 10 minutes realized there was a problem.

"When he realized something was wrong, he got on the roof and said his feet were burning underneath him," West said.

The fire quickly spread around in the attic of the home and West said that caused extensive damage to the house.

West said this was one of their first heat-related calls of the season.

"It doesn't take much for something to happen over the course of a year. A nest can be made inside. Certainly if you've got a molding issue inside the attic. You never know. Anything can happen and it's important to do the due diligence and make sure you've got your chimneys and fire place clean," West said.

Around late fall and early winter is when fire departments start getting calls related to heating sources, West added.

"With the cold weather that's approaching, it's important to do your maintenance on your chimneys, maintenance on your fireplaces to make sure that it's clean. Obviously space heaters are a big concern. You want to make sure they're clear of anything that could potentially catch on fire and burn," West said.

The couple living in the home with their infant were displaced by the fire, according to West. The Red Cross was on hand to assist them following the fire.

Article Comments

 

Huntsville
Broken Clouds
50° wxIcon
Hi: 62° Lo: 44°
Feels Like: 50°
Florence
Clear
49° wxIcon
Hi: 64° Lo: 46°
Feels Like: 49°
Fayetteville
Clear
48° wxIcon
Hi: 62° Lo: 44°
Feels Like: 48°
Decatur
Clear
49° wxIcon
Hi: 62° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 49°
Scottsboro
Clear
45° wxIcon
Hi: 62° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 45°
WAAY Radar
WAAY WAAY-TV Cam
WAAY Temperatures

Community Events