At least one person is dead in an apparent tornado as dangerous storms sweep across the South.
The sheriff's office in Vernon Parison, Louisiana, says a person died when a twister struck a home Monday. A spokesman says officials fear others could be hurt in the area since crews are still trying to get into hard-hit areas.
The storms have destroyed buildings, toppled trees and downed power lines in several Louisiana communities, and forecasters say more bad weather is on the way.
The weather service says the threat of severe weather would continue through nightfall.
- Louisiana: Apparent twister destroys buildings, 1 dead
- Scientists: Surprisingly small ‘dead zone’ off Louisiana
- Alabama already above average for year with 53 twisters
- Early morning fire destroys Huntsville apartment building
- Two dead in apparent Morgan County murder-suicide
- Fashion designer Kate Spade found dead of apparent suicide
- Limestone County sheriff: 1 dead after apparent property dispute
- Parts of Decatur church building destroyed by storm
- Warrior Creek holds worship service outside of destroyed church building
- Massive fire destroys a building and injures a firefighter