SEVERE WX : Flood Warning View Alerts

Home destroyed, firefighter injured from Huntsville fire

The homeowner told WAAY31 his gas fireplace started the fire.

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 5:40 PM
Updated: Feb 17, 2020 8:58 AM

A Huntsville firefighter was taken to the hospital and a family is picking up what is left of their home after a fire Saturday night. 

It happened on the 200 block of Properzi Way in Huntsville. The homeowner said he and his family were watching television with the fireplace on. He said he noticed a spark near the outlet. 

Within minutes, his breaker popped and his entire house went up in flames. He said he is now focused on tearing down the home and rebuilding. 

Don Webster, with Huntsville Emergency Medical Services, told WAAY31 the firefighter is recovering from non-life-threatening injuries. 

Article Comments

Huntsville
Overcast
60° wxIcon
Hi: 76° Lo: 50°
Feels Like: 60°
Florence
Clear
60° wxIcon
Hi: 75° Lo: 52°
Feels Like: 60°
Fayetteville
Clear
59° wxIcon
Hi: 75° Lo: 50°
Feels Like: 59°
Decatur
Clear
59° wxIcon
Hi: 74° Lo: 52°
Feels Like: 59°
Scottsboro
Few Clouds
61° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 61°
WAAY Radar
WAAY WAAY-TV Cam
WAAY Temperatures

 

 

Community Events