On Friday, everyone traveling between Huntsville and Arab will need to find another route.
The official detour is from Highway 36 to Highway 67 and Highway 67 to Highway 69.
Commuters Friday morning will see three new traffic lights installed at Union Hill Road. Business owners told us they hope these lights will keep traffic moving. They also say this detour is already bringing more traffic to their front doors, especially when traffic backs up for miles.
The owner of an appliance store said he's hoping this boom in business continues.
"We'll see how it goes. We may open up new hours to where we're open earlier and later, depending on how it goes, depending on what ALDOT says," said Michael Owen.
Meanwhile, school buses are adjusting to the detours. Buses to Lacey's Spring, Union Hill and Cotaco Junior High Schools, along with Brewer High School, will see different routes.
One Morgan County grandparent told us he's glad they caught the crack before it got any worse.
"It's just an inconvenience getting back and forth commuting up and down the mountain, but it's just a blessing they found it before someone got hurt or it was a real bad injury," said Johnny Moore.
- Highway 231 detours see Friday morning traffic
- Stranded 18-wheeler causes delays on Highway 231 detour
- 18 Wheeler wreck on US Highway 231
- Highway 231 construction delaying other road projects
- Highway 231 shut-down impacts local business
- Crews installing Hwy. 231 detours, lights to help drivers, businesses deal with road damage
- ‘Drive slow and pay attention:’ Drivers making adjustments for Hwy. 231 detour routes
- Madison County sheriff: Traffic backed up due to wreck at Highway 231 and Joe Quick Road
- Highway 72 wreck slows down morning traffic
- One dead because of accident on Highway 231