On Friday, everyone traveling between Huntsville and Arab will need to find another route.
The official detour is from Highway 36 to Highway 67 and Highway 67 to Highway 69.
Commuters Friday morning will see three new traffic lights installed at Union Hill Road. Business owners told us they hope these lights will keep traffic moving. They also say this detour is already bringing more traffic to their front doors, especially when traffic backs up for miles.
The owner of an appliance store said he's hoping this boom in business continues.
"We'll see how it goes. We may open up new hours to where we're open earlier and later, depending on how it goes, depending on what ALDOT says," said Michael Owen.
Meanwhile, school buses are adjusting to the detours. Buses to Lacey's Spring, Union Hill and Cotaco Junior High Schools, along with Brewer High School, will see different routes.
One Morgan County grandparent told us he's glad they caught the crack before it got any worse.
"It's just an inconvenience getting back and forth commuting up and down the mountain, but it's just a blessing they found it before someone got hurt or it was a real bad injury," said Johnny Moore.
- Highway 231 detours see Friday morning traffic
- Voting may cause more traffic on Highway 231 detour route
- Stranded 18-wheeler causes delays on Highway 231 detour
- Highway 231 detours impacting first responders' speed in emergencies
- Morgan County Sheriff's Office catching speeders on Highway 231 detour
- Black ice could freeze over Highway 231 detour
- Morgan County deputies respond to hit and run report on Highway 231 detour
- Lacey's Spring business aims to brighten days along Highway 231 detour
- Drivers trying to get used to detour at Highway 231 in Morgan County
- 18 Wheeler wreck on US Highway 231