A man is in custody after leading authorities in Limestone and Madison counties on a high speed chase over counterfeit money.
The man was caught in a neighborhood in the area of Harvest Road and Tyler Will Road.
The Limestone County Sheriff's Office told us a deputy attempted to pull the suspect over after he was caught using counterfeit money at a business. The man took off eventually ditching the vehicle and running on foot.
"We got a call from Heritage Food Mart in Northeastern Limestone County advising us that this gentleman had just attempted to pass some counterfeit $10 bills," said Stephen Young the Public Information Officer for Limestone County Sheriff's Office.
That was sometime after nine Wednesday morning. Deputies said the man, identified as Benjamin Hill, then led deputies on a foot chase leading to a three-hour manhunt.
"He was eventually located. The dogs picked up the track. He was found in a backyard hiding out," said Young.
Once Hill was caught, deputies said counterfeit money wasn't the only thing he was in possession of. Investigators said the van Hill ditched was stolen. Young said the investigation also connected Hill to a man arrested earlier this week for using counterfeit money.
"It was the same production as the previous case and it was very likely done on the same printer by the same people."
Young said dozens of businesses have been impacted. We talked to the manager of one business, Uncle Bud's Mini Mart, who told us this is a headache for them to deal with.
"It's like what, three times in the last couple of months that we've noticed something like that. But from what I understand, the elkmont area, it's been flowing pretty good," said Donna Ivey the Manager at the store.
Hill is being held in Limestone County Jail on a $33,500 bond. He is facing charges for Theft 1st Degree, Criminal Mischief 1st Degree, Attempting to Elude by Motor Vehicle, four counts of Possession of a Forged Instrument 1st Degree and Conspiracy to Commit a Controlled Substance Crime.
- High speed chase and counterfeit money lead to an arrest
- Investigation into counterfeit money leads to arrest
- Man arrested for printing counterfeit money
- High speed chase in Limestone County leads to wreck
- How to spot counterfeit money
- 4 detained after high speed chase
- Athens Police arrest third suspect in recent counterfeit money crimes
- Decatur woman arrested as result of counterfeit money investigation
- Huntsville Police arrest suspect on counterfeit money charges
- Decatur Police seeing increase in counterfeit money