Huntsville fire officials have ruled the fire at Lincoln Park Apartments an accident.
Chief Frank McKenzie with Huntsville Fire & Rescue told WAAY 31 the fire started on the couch inside an apartment on Webster Drive last month.
Police said an elderly man was pulled from the apartment and taken to the hospital.
A neighbor called 911 after he said his five-month-old puppy, Queen, alerted him to the fire in the middle of the night.
Today, District Four City Councilman Bill Kling recognized Queen for her heroism.
Councilman Kling says her continuous barking saved the elderly man’s life.
Queen was presented with a certificate on behalf of the mayor and City Council.
She also received a medal from former school board member Topper Birney.
Councilman Kling says Queen is a dog of few words, but her heroism speaks for itself.
“Amos and Queen saved a life and we’re fortunate," Kling said.
When asked how he felt to be the owner of a hero dog, Amos Smith said, “I feel like a proud parent. You know, this is like my dog’s being graduated through high school, going through college, getting graduated, she has her paperwork now.”
If you’ve been following this story, you know Queen's owner was facing eviction from his apartment, which is operated under the Huntsville Housing Authority, because of her weight and breed.
However, Queen’s owner, Amos Smith, says the housing authority contacted him Tuesday morning to let him know his dog, Queen, will now be allowed to stay in her home.
“Couldn’t be more than 20 pounds and couldn’t be a certain type of breed."
Amos Smith says that’s what the Huntsville Housing Authority originally told him when they found out about his dog, Queen.
However, Smith has since learned his dog can be up to 25 pounds.
And as for the breed, Smith says he had Queen tested, and the results say she’s a terrier mix.
Now, Smith says the housing authority has given him a different message.
“She’s allowed to stay, it’s just important that she has to get spade," he said.
We reached out to the Huntsville Housing Authority, who says Smith did not follow their pet policy.
According to the guidelines, Smith was supposed to register the pet with the property manager, pay a $50 registration fee, and a $200 deposit fee.
And the housing authority told WAAY 31 Smith did none of those things.
Smith admits to WAAY 31 that he didn’t pay the fees; but he says he’s working with the housing authority to pay those off over the next couple of months.