WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) - Heineken has removed a commercial for its light beer after some complaints that it was racist.
The ad featured a bartender sliding a bottle of Heineken light. The bottle passes several black people before it arrives to a lighter-skinned woman. The tag line: Sometimes lighter is better.
Hip-hop star Chance the Rapper on Sunday tweeted the commercial was "terribly racist." He said he thought some companies were purposely "putting out noticeably racist ads so they can get more views."
In a statement, Heineken says while the ad was referencing Heineken Light, "we missed the mark."
Heineken drew praise last year for its "Open Your World" commercials, which featured people of different backgrounds discussing their viewpoints.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Heineken pulls beer commercial after racism complaints
- Ambien maker Sanofi: Racism 'is not a known side effect'
- Roy Moore files complaint against accusers
- King files ethics complaint against Marshall
- Pizza Hut expands beer delivery service
- Amazon, online shopping, fuels massive need for commercial truck drivers
- Limestone County farmer upset over Super Bowl commercial
- US warns American shipping that Iran may target commercial vessels
- Trump renewing his complaint about kneeling NFL players
- Singer files sex assault complaint against former Trump aide Lewandowski