You may have already seen on social media that a risk for severe thunderstorms evolving for this weekend that includes us in the Tennessee Valley.
Risk For Severe Thunderstorms This Weekend
We have discussed this risk briefly in the past couple of days. The risk for severe thunderstorms locally looks to be low, and the biggest risk will likely pass south of us again. A low risk does not mean no risk. On the local level, the biggest risk is between the Mississippi state line and I-65, including the Shoals. Severe thunderstorms can, by definition, produce tornadoes, damaging winds in excess of 58 mph, and large hail. We will be especially monitoring the tornado and wind risk as an approaching storm system evolves Friday and Saturday.
Timing For Severe Thunderstorms This Weekend
Areas of rain will begin forming across the Tennessee Valley on Friday. Rain can fall heavily occasionally. Rain may take breaks and become more on-and-off Friday night and Saturday morning. If we are going to experience severe thunderstorms, they look to be most likely after about 4 PM Saturday. The risk can last through about midnight. The timing may change between now and Saturday, so stay with the WAAY 31 Storm Tracker Weather Team for updated forecast information. We will be fine tuning our forecast as new data measuring the atmosphere is available.
The next 24 hours will stay dry. Tonight will be mostly clear. A Freeze Warning is in effect from 6 PM Wednesday until 8 AM Thursday. Evening temperatures will drop through the 30s. The low by morning will average around 27 degrees, though mid-20s are possible in our colder areas. Thursday will start sunny. Clouds will increase as some warming begins in the afternoon. High temperatures will be in the mid-to-upper 50s.
- Heavy rain comes with severe storm risk this weekend
- Heavy rain & severe storms possible Saturday
- High risk for severe storms Friday
- Heavy rain arrives tonight
- Heavy rain returns Sunday
- Approaching storm system brings wind, heavy rain, and strong storms
- Heavy Rain & Thunder Likely Friday
- More Heavy Rain Likely Monday
- Thunderstorms and periods of heavy rain through this weekend
- Dangerous severe storm risk growing for Monday night & Tuesday morning