A Heat Advisory is in effect until 7 PM Saturday for Lauderdale, Lawrence, Colbert, and Franklin counties in Northwest Alabama. A Heat Advisory is issued when the combination of high temperatures and high humidity can lead to heat illness. Be sure to stay hydrated and don't work too hard for too long outside. Take frequent cool breaks if you will be outside for prolonged periods. High temperatures on Saturday will be in the mid-90s. Factoring in the humidity, the heat index will be near 105 degrees.
Showers and thunderstorms will help to cool off some of us, but not everyone will benefit from rain to help break the intense heat. A stray shower is possible through 8 PM this evening. The rest of tonight will be mostly cloudy. Areas of fog can reduce the visibility Saturday morning through 9 AM. Be careful on the roads and remember to use your low beams if that is the case. Showers and thunderstorms can begin developing after 11 AM. While showers and thunderstorms will not be widespread, they are possible across the entire Tennessee Valley. They are most likely from either side of I-65 eastward to the Georgia state line. Scattered showers will end by 8 PM.
Saturday rainfall amounts will mainly be less than a half inch. Slightly higher totals are possible from a stray heavy thunderstorm. Thunderstorms can also bring 30-40 mph wind gusts and small hail in isolated cases.
Scattered showers and thunderstorms are possible again on Sunday. Expect numerous to widespread showers and thunderstorms on Monday with areas of heavy rain and gusty winds. A pattern favoring scattered showers and thunderstorms resumes on Tuesday and Wednesday before drier and warmer air arrives for Thursday and Friday.
- Heat Advisory Through Saturday
- Another Heat Advisory Wednesday afternoon
- Heat Advisory today and Tuesday
- Heat advisory issued for Shoals counties
- Heat Advisory issued for Tuesday Afternoon
- Heat Advisory issued for the Tennessee Valley
- Heat Advisory again Wednesday due to persistent heat
- Huntsville Utilities monitoring power grid during heat advisory
- Heat Advisory for most of the Valley Monday
- Alabama A&M band taking extra precautions during heat advisory