Friday at the AHSAA State Baseball Championships proved to be a tale of two halves for our North Alabama natives.
In the morning, the Russellville Golden Tigers missed their shot at the 4-peat, falling 7-3 in game two of the Class 5A State Championship series to the Faith Academy Rams.
Then things got interesting as the day wore on.
With a one game lead in the best-of-three series, Hazel Green couldn't close out in game two, falling 3-1 to the defending Class 6A champs, Helena.
Game three proved to be a different story.
Tyler Duskin pitched like a man possessed, tossing seven innings of scoreless baseball with six strikeouts on his way to being named the Class 6A Championship MVP. That effort helped propel the Trojans to a 1-0 victory and the school's first ever baseball championship.
- Hazel Green wins 6A championship, Russellville falls in 5A
- Hazel Green Girls basketball wins 6A State Champions for Second Year in a Row
- Hazel Green High principal resigns
- Fire destroys Hazel Green home
- Hazel Green house fire reported
- Damage in Russellville
- Hazel Green Lady Trojans win first game in area tournament
- Hazel Green baseball wins big on Senior Night
- Sunday's storm causes damage in Hazel Green
- Hazel Green teen killed in car crash