The Huntsville police officer who died Monday was involved in two wrecks in less than an hour, according to traffic incident reports.
Office Keith Earle, 46, was involved in a wreck on Jordan Lane near University Drive about 45 minutes before his vehicle collided head-on with another at the intersection of Pulaski Pike and Grizzard Road March 26.
Earle went to the hospital after the second wreck. He died Monday morning. It's not clear whether his death was the result of the crash.
WAAY 31 learned from the traffic incident report the other driving in the second accident was Aundra Jennings. He told us his injuries in the crash included a broken femur and crushed ankle. Doctors expect him to spend the next 6 months in a wheelchair.
Before the head-on collision, Earle was traveling south in the turn lane on Jordan Lane when his SUV rear-ended a car waiting to turn into a private drive. The wreck happened just before 9 a.m., but wasn't reported until the next day, according to the report. The Huntsville Police Department officer who filled out the traffic crash report said there was no visibile damage to the rear of the car.
A report for the second crash shows that at about 9:40 a.m., Earle was driving north on Pulaski Pike when his vehicle veered into the southbound lanes. The driver of a Chevrolet HHR in the southbound lanes veered and tried to avoid Earle, but their vehicles hit head-on. Both Earle and the driver of the other vehicle were trapped in their vehicles.
Earle was taken to Huntsville Hospital, where he died two weeks later.
Police told WAAY 31 Tuesday afternoon that both wrecks are under investigation.
Funeral arrangements for Earle had not been announced as of Tuesday evening.
- HPD officer involved in wreck
- HPD officer who died after wreck had another one less than an hour before
- HPD officer charged with DUI
- California Street back open after wreck involving HPD officer
- Man killed by HPD Officer's bullet
- HPD Officers cleared by board in May
- DUI charges against HPD officer dropped
- Report: HPD officer arrested for DUI vomited after wreck, had liquor in car
- HPD Officer charged with murder still considered an officer
- HPD investigating ATV rollover crash