A man is behind bars after crashing a reportedly stolen car into the side of an auto repair shop.
Shortly after 11:30 p.m. Tuesday night, Huntsville Police said a woman was parked at the Jet Pep on University Drive near the corner of Henderson Road.
The car theft suspect was transported to Huntsville Hospital with minor injuries he sustained from the crash.
Investigators said the woman walked away from her car with the vehicle running and the suspect hopped inside and drove off.
The woman hopped in the car of a friend and called 911 while they started to follow the vehicle eastbound on University Drive.
The suspect then briefly pulled into the parking lot of the Economy Inn on University.
Some Huntsville Police officers happened to be there on an unrelated call and the victim called out to them and said, “That man stole my car!”
Officers said the suspect then took off and continued east on University.
When officers farther down the road spotted him, they said the car was spinning and it ended up crashing into one of the bay doors at Clem Tire Co. near the corner of Pulaski Pike and University.
At that point, the suspect was taken into custody without incident. He was transported to Huntsville Hospital for minor injuries related to the crash.
Investigators told WAAY 31 that he will be charged with at least First Degree Theft. He may face other charges pending the outcome of the investigation.
- HPD: car thief injured after crashing into auto shop
- HPD investigating ATV rollover crash
- Russellville police searching for auto thief
- HPD: driver flees after crashing into home
- HPD officer charged with DUI
- HPD officer involved in wreck
- HPD: Man's medical condition most likely led to crash, death
- Man killed by HPD Officer's bullet
- HPD Officers cleared by board in May
- DUI charges against HPD officer dropped